Monday, September 17, 2012

Candy Yum Yum!!!

Growing up I would find those sesame seed crisps or brittle type things everywhere and anywhere. I have been craving them for the longest time, since I wasnt able to find them anywhere, I decide to make my own.

Was this ever a hit in my house.

Cracked
and stored  

For this recipe I used half regular sesame seeds and raw un-hulled sesame seeds, so one cup of each.

2 cups sesame seeds
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the sesame sees on a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan and toast them in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Place the seeds in a 3 quart pan. Add the sugar, corn syrup, 1/3 cup water and margarine to the sesame seeds.
4. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
5. Once it's come to the boil, continue to cook without stirring until the temperature reaches 270 degrees F on a candy thermometer or until a small amount of the mixture forms a ball when dropped into very cold water. (I don't have a candy thermometer, so I use the ball test.) This can take 15 to 20 minutes or more. The ball should be "plastic" in texture but should hold the ball shape.
6. Grease a jelly roll pan.
7. Stir the baking soda into the sesame seed mixture and pour into the jelly roll pan.
8. Spread the mixture with a metal spatula so it is 1/4 inch thick.
9. Cool completely and then break into pieces.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something <3